Remembrance Day – Imagining a Better World
Inquiry Question: What causes war?
Using two picture books as source material, students experience the creative process as they explore the theme of war. They learn that small arguments and disagreements need to be well managed to prevent escalation. Using partner and individual movement sentences, shape dances, mirroring, flocking, and chanting, students create a physical theatre/dance piece to communicate their ideas and feelings about the theme including their wishes for a better world.
4 Key Messages:
- An unresolved argument can escalate to war
- Children can learn to de-escalate a disagreement
- Children can see from the perspective of another
- Teacher actions can change student states for optimal learning
- Students learn to put themselves into another’s shoes
- Students make connections to self, other texts and the world
- Students consider their wishes for a better world
- Learn simple techniques to create a powerful assembly piece